LONDON — Nathias Frederick was emotionally embraced by his mother following his fourth-round victory over James Webb to claim the Cage Warriors middleweight title on Saturday night in the main event of Cage Warriors 111 at the Indigo.
The middleweight duo fought to a draw in June at Night of Champions and both insisted that they had done enough to have their hands raised following the contest.
Webb looked to use his grappling skill-set from the get-go, but after two strong rounds, Frederick shifted into a higher gear and started to land powerful strikes on the Team KF fighter, who stayed in the fray throughout a heavy spell of fire in the third round. After being taken down early in the fourth, Frederick exploded into action again when he got back to his feet. Such was his onslaught that the referee waved off the action with just seconds left on the clock in the round four.
Light heavyweight champion Modestas Bukauskas continued in his rich vein of form with another stoppage victory, this time in the first round against Italian debutant, Riccardo Nosiglia. Coming off his win over celebrated Norwegian wrestler, Marthin Hamlet, Bukaukus was more than ready for Nosiglia’s takedown attempts and elbowed him into oblivion to claim the win when Nosiglia looked to take him down off the fence in the first round.
Although it won’t be considered a title defense due to Steve Aimable missing weight by 0.2 pounds, Mads Burnell put on a clinic in his first outing since claiming the belt against Dean Trueman at Night of Champions. The Danish featherweight dominated the striking exchanges and controlled the top-heavy Englishman on the ground with ease.
Joilton Santos scored a shock stoppage win over top-ranked welterweight Alex Lohore with a first-round TKO. The French fighter went down to his knees and clutched his head after eating multiple hooks in the early throes. After the referee stopped the action, the Brazilian continued to goad the defeated Lohore, who appeared to be on the verge of a title shot ahead of the contest.
See the full results for Cage Warriors 111 below:
- Nathias Frederick def. James Webb via TKO (strikes) in R4
- Modestas Bukauskas def. Riccardo Nosiglia via KO (elbows) in R1
- Mads Burnell def. Steve Aimable via unanimous decision
- Joilton Santos def. Alex Lohore via TKO (strikes) in R1
- Emrah Sonmez def. Daryl Golding via unanimous decision
- Liam Gittins def. Adam Amarasinghe via unanimous decision
- Matthew Bonner def. Warren Kee via TKO (strikes) in R1
- Cory Tait def. Ayton De Paepe via submission (triangle) in R2
- Mike Ekundayo def. Luca Iovine via DQ (illegal knee) in R1
- Joshua Onwordi def. Harry Davies by unanimous decision
- James Hendin def. Jordan Barton by unanimous decision
- Kingsley Crawford def Scott Butters by TKO (strikes) in R2